President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. has tested positive for COVID-19 based on antigen screening, Malacañang said Friday.
Marcos Jr. has "slight fever" but is otherwise fine, Press Sec. Trixie Cruz-Angeles said. Those who have been in close contact with the 64-year-old leader were advised to isolate, she added.
"The president has tested positive in an antigen test for COVID-19. He has a slight fever but he is otherwise ok," Cruz-Angeles said.
Marcos Jr. has to isolate for at least seven days since he tested positive for the virus, Department of Health spokesperson Usec. Rosario Vergeire said. This is the second time that Marcos Jr. got infected with the virus following his bout with COVID-19 in 2020.
The President's son, Ilocos Norte Rep. Sandro Marcos, tested negative for the virus, Cruz-Angeles said, noting that First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos is out of town and "has not been exposed".
She added that other officials who have tested negative for COVID-19 so far are herself and Executive Sec. Vic Rodriguez.
Marcos Jr. held his first Cabinet meeting since his inauguration earlier this week and has not appointed a health secretary.