President Rodrigo Duterte rejected a new proposal to hold a dry run for limited face-to-face classes due to the lack of vaccines, Malacanang said Monday.
Face-to-face classes were scheduled for a pilot run last January but was scrapped after a COVID variant was discovered in the UK, leading to further travel curbs.
"Nagdesisyon na po ang Presidente, wala pa rin po tayong face-to-face classes sa bansa.. Ayaw niyang malagay sa panganib o alanganin ang buhay ng ating mga mag-aaral o guro habang wala pa pong nababakunahan sa bansa," he said.
The resumption of face-to-face classes will depend on how soon COVID-19 vaccines can be rolled out, Roque said.
Still with the same threat, along with the delayed arrival of vaccines, the palace said it could happen by August, only after the vaccination drive has been launched.
The Philippines is the only country in Southeast Asia that has yet to restart in-person classes, Education Sec. Leonor Briones said last week to support the proposal.
She also cited prolonged negative impact of distance learning on students, parents and teachers.