For a limited time, select public transportation systems in Metro Manila are free to use, some at specific times, to help millions in the capital cope with rising consumer prices.
The options include the EDSA Carousel Bus, the Pasig River Ferry and the LRT-2.
Here's your guide:
The EDSA Carousel Bus, which has 17 stops from Monumento to PITX and vice versa, gives free rides from 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. under the service contracting program of the Department of Transportation.
Outside these hours, it continues to operate 24/7, with operators and drivers collecting fares.
Pasig River Ferry Service
The Pasig River Ferry offers free rides to commuters for both upstream and downstream trips.
The ferry operates from 7 a.m. (downstream from Pinagbuhatan station) to 6:40 p.m. (upstream from Kalawaan station).
To avail the free rides, just present a valid ID, undergo temperature checks, and fill out the manifest and commuter information sheet before boarding.
It has 13 stations in the following cities:
- San Joaquin
- Sta. Ana
QC Bus Augmentation Program
The Quezon City government also has a free bus service for commuters in the city.
It operates from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. during weekdays, with shorter operating hours during weekends.
Its buses ply eight main routes, with several stops in between:
- Route 1: Quezon City Hall To Cubao (and vice versa)
- Route 2: Quezon City Hall To LITEX (and vice versa)
- Route 3: Welcome Rotonda To Aurora Blvd./Katipunan (and vice versa)
- Route 4: Quezon City Hall To Gen. Luis (and vice versa)
- Route 5: Quezon City Hall To Mindanao Ave. Via Visayas Ave. (and vice versa)
- Route 6: Quezon City Hall To Gilmore (and vice versa)
- Route 7: Quezon City Hall To Ortigas Avenue Extension (and vice versa)
- Route 8: Quezon City Hall To Muñoz (and vice versa)
For more details on specific drop-off points per route, click here.
LRT-2, which has 13 stations between Manila and Rizal, operates from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. (last trip Antipolo station) and 9:30 p.m. (last trip Recto station).
DOTr earlier said students could avail the free rides at the LRT-2, MRT-3, and PNR for free from Aug. 22 until Nov. 4, 2022.