Here’s a Heads Up from reportr on top news stories that you need to know today, July 25:
STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS
Stay with Reportr for our coverage of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.’s first State of the Nation Address today at 4 p.m.
Here’s what you need to know about the Philippine president’s annual speech to Congress and report to the people:
- SONA 2022: Quotes, Moments That Matter, From Marcos Sr. to Duterte
- First SONA: Ferdinand E. Marcos Sr., Jan. 24, 1966
- First SONA: Corazon Aquino, July 27, 1987
- First SONA: Fidel V. Ramos, July 27, 1992
- First SONA: Joseph Estrada, July 27, 1998
- First SONA: Gloria Arroyo and the 'Bangkang Papel' Boys, July 23, 2001
- First SONA: Benigno 'Noynoy' Aquino III, July 26, 2010
- First SONA: Rodrigo Duterte, July 25, 2016
- State of COVID cases before Marcos Jr.’s big speech.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Here’s your guide to free rides in Metro Manila, from the EDSA Carousel Bus to the Pasig River Ferry to the LRT-2.
- Here’s your guide to visa-free destinations for Philippine passport holders that will check the most exotic of bucket list destinations.
- Actress Ella Cruz sat down with King of Talk Boy Abunda after she went viral for likening history to “tsismis.”
- “Wakanda Forever”, the sequel to the hit Marvel film “Black Panther”, trended worldwide after its teaser trailer dropped. Two more Avengers films are also in the pipeline.
- “Wolfgang” also trended after businessman Chris Tan asked for Twitter's thoughts about a girl who agreed to go out on a date with him at the popular steakhouse.
NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Three individuals, including a former mayor of a Basilan town, were killed in a shooting incident near Ateneo De Manila University on Sunday.
- Former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo will skip Marcos’ SONA today after she tested positive for COVID-19.
- U.S. President Joe Biden has also tested positive for COVID-19.
- Sen. Robin Padilla has filed a bill seeking to legalize medical marijuana in the Philippines for “compassionate” use.
- Meet the new U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines, MaryKay Carlson.
- Vince McMahon has retired as head of the WWE wrestling behemoth under a cloud of sexual misconduct allegations.
- Facebook has split its app newsfeed in two to make room for a TikTok-style FYP that is based on algorithm.