President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said Tuesday the government was considering the resumption of full face-to-face classes by November, as he began mapping out the country's pandemic recovery.
Vice President Sara Duterte, who serves as education secretary, made the announcement during their first Cabinet meeting earlier in the day, according to Marcos.
"We have a plan for full face-to-face by November of this year. September we will start a phased face-to-face schooling, and that face-to-face will end up in early November as already 100% attendance ng mga bata," Marcos told reporters in a press briefing.
One of those being considered by the government in bringing back full in-person classes is the vaccination of school children in anticipation of the "issues that will be raised," the president said.
He said the government was drawing up plans to provide free rides to students to support them in in-person learning.
The Philippines resumed limited face-to-face classes in November last year in low risk areas around the country after more than one year of remote learning.
Some 28 million students were enrolled for school year 2021-2022 based on data from the DepEd.