Households will have to tighten their belts this month as Meralco said Monday it would hike power rates in April.
The Philippines' largest power distributor said it would implement a P0.5363 increase per kilowatt-hour (kWh) to P10.1830 per kWh this April, citing the higher cost of buying electricity.
This is equivalent to a bill increase of around P107 for a typical household consuming 200 kWh.
This is the second consecutive power rate increase by Meralco this year after hiking electricity rates in March.
Electricity consumption typically increases in the dry and hot months with Meralco advising households to conserve power.
Here are some tips on how to conserve energy from Meralco:
- Clean your aircon filters every two weeks to ensure optimal performance
- Set your aircon's thermostat to 25oC to maximize efficiency
- Ensure that your refrigerator’s air vents are not blocked to keep its compressor from working harder
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Maximize natural light during daytime