The Philippines has set conditions for the entry of foreign nationals in the country starting Feb. 1, Malacañang said Friday, in light of threats posed by new coronavirus variants worldwide.
Foreigners traveling to the Philippines should have valid and existing visas at the time of entry, except for those qualified under the Balikbayan program, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
"The entry of these foreign nationals will be subject to the maximum capacity of inbound passengers at the port and date of entry," Roque said.
Arriving foreign nationals should also have a pre-booked accommodation for at least seven nights in a government-accredited quarantine hotel or facility.
"They shall also be subject to COVID-19 testing at the quarantine hotel or facility on the sixth day from the date of their arrival," Roque said.
All travelers who will enter the Philippines starting Feb. 1 will also be required to undergo a facility-based quarantine upon arrival.
The Philippines late last year imposed a travel ban on several countries and territories that have reported cases of COVID-19 virus variants.
Earlier this month, the Philippines confirmed its first case too of the UK variant of SARS-CoV-2, known as B.1.1.7. in a male patient in Quezon City. Later, the Department of Health confirmed more cases of the virus variant in different parts of Luzon.
Local transmission of the UK virus variant has been confirmed by health authorities too in Bontoc, Mountain Province.
MORE ON COVID-19: