The death toll due to an ammonia leak at a Navotas City ice plant rose to two on Thursday, with 90 others hospitalized, said Mayor Toby Tiangco, whose family owns the facility.
The remains of the second fatality, an electrician, was retrieved early Thursday. The first fatality, confirmed on Wednesday, was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital, Tiangco told ANC.
"Ako'y humihingi ng paumanhin dun sa lahat ng naperwisyo. Kahit po ayan ay kompanya ng nanay ko, kailangan po silang sumunod sa lahat ng regulasyon at sisiguraduhin po nating susunod sila," the mayor said.
MORE METRO NEWS:
As of early Thursday 67 of those hospitalized were discharged. Children were among those injured.
Tiangco said his family would shoulder all burial and hospitalization costs.
Initially reports said the leak was due to the explosion of tank filled with ammonia, the chemical responsible for freezing water into ice.
Ammonia is dangerous to humans because it is corrosive to the eyes, skin, and lungs, which can ultimately lead to respiratory distress.
Tiangco said the leak was contained and that he ordered the closure of the plant while an investigation was underway.