Tropical Storm Dante (Choi-Wan) was on track to hit mainland Luzon late on Wednesday after inundating large parts of the Central Philippines, PAGASA said, as it warned millions on the storm's path to brace for rains that could bring floods and landslides.
Dante, the fourth storm of 2021, was spotted off Romblon, Romblon at 7 a.m., packing maximum sustained winds of up to 65 kph with gusts of 90 kph. It is forecast to pass over Romblon and Marinduque before making landfall in the Quezon-Batangas area, PAGASA said.
There's a possibility that Dante could hit Oriental Mindoro or Marinduque, south of Quezon and Batangas, PAGASA said, before emerging over the West Philippine Sea on Thursday morning.
Dante is forecast to bring moderate to heavy rains with at times intense rains over CALABARZON, Romblon, Marinduque, Occidental Mindoro,
Oriental Mindoro, Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Iloilo, Guimaras, and the northern portion of Negros Occidental.
Dante made its first landfall in Sulat, Eastern Samar on Tuesday night before hitting land in Cataingan, Masbate early Wednesday. It is expected to weaken as it crosses Luzon through Thursday, PAGASA said.
Signal no. 2, or winds of up to 61-120 kph within 24 hours, is raised over these areas:
- Southern portion of Quezon (San Francisco, Mulanay, Catanauan, General Luna, Macalelon, Pitogo, Unisan, Agdangan, Padre Burgos, Pagbilao, Sariaya, City of Tayabas, Lucena City, Dolores, Lucban, Candelaria, Tiaong, San Antonio, San Andres, San Narciso)
- Southern portion of Laguna (Majayjay, Liliw, Nagcarlan, Rizal, San Pablo City, Calauan, Bay, Los Baños, Alaminos)
- Oriental Mindoro
- Extreme northern portion of Occidental Mindoro (Abra de Ilog)
- Western portion of Masbate (Aroroy, Milagros, Mandaon, Balud) including Burias Island
- Northern portion of Capiz (Sapi-An, Ivisan, Roxas City, Panay, Pontevedra, President Roxas, Pilar)
- Northern portion of Aklan (Malay, Nabas, Ibajay, Tangalan, Makato, Lezo, Numancia, Kalibo, New Washington, Batan)
- Extreme northeastern portion of Iloilo (Balasan, Estancia, Carles)
Signal no. 1, or winds of 30-60 kph may be experienced in at least 36 hours, is up over these areas:
- Ilocos Norte
- Ilocos Sur
- La Union
- Western portion of Kalinga (Pasil, Tanudan, Lubuagan, Balbalan, Tinglayan)
- Mountain Province
- Extreme southern portion of Isabela (Ramon, Cordon)
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Western portion of Quirino (Nagtipunan, Cabarroguis, Diffun, Aglipay, Saguday)
- Central and southern portion of Aurora (Dipaculao, Maria Aurora, Baler, San Luis, Dingalan)
- Nueva Ecija
- Metro Manila
- the rest of Quezon
- the rest of Laguna
- Occidental Mindoro
- Calamian Islands
- Cuyo Islands
- Western portion of Camarines Norte (Labo, Capalonga, Santa Elena)
- Western portion of Camarines Sur (Del Gallego, Lupi, Ragay, Sipocot, Libmanan, Pasacao, Pamplona, San Fernando, Minalabac, Bula, Nabua, Balatan, Bato, Cabusao, Milaor, Canaman, Gainza, Camaligan, Magarao)
- Western portion of Albay (Polangui, Libon, Oas, City of Ligao, Pio Duran, Guinobatan, Jovellar)
- the rest of Masbate including Ticao Island
- Western portion of Sorsogon (Donsol, Pilar, Castilla, Magallanes, Bulan, Matnog)
- the rest of Aklan
- the rest of Capiz
- the rest of Iloilo
- Northern portion of Negros Occidental (La Castellana, Pontevedra, Hinigaran, Moises Padilla, Pulupandan, Valladolid, San Enrique, La Carlota City, San Carlos City, Bago City, Bacolod City, Murcia, Salvador Benedicto, Calatrava, City of Talisay, Silay City, Enrique B. Magalona, City of Victorias, Manapla, Cadiz City, Sagay City, City of Escalante, Toboso)
- Extreme northern portion of Negros Oriental (Canlaon City, Vallehermoso)
- Northwestern portion of Cebu (Pinamungahan, Toledo City, Balamban, Asturias, Tuburan, Tabuelan, Medellin, San Remigio, Daanbantayan) including Bantayan Islands
PAGASA also warned of rough seas over the seaboards where signal no. 2 is hoisted and the remaining seaboards of Bicol Region, meaning sea travel is risky for small seacrafts.
Here is the track and intensity forecast for Dante: