The mandatory wearing of face shields in public spaces should still be observed, Malacañang said Thursday night as President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to decide on the policy.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the wearing of the gear should be continued while Duterte decides on fresh recommendations to limit its use from the inter-agency task force on pandemic response.
"While waiting for the President’s decision on the matter, the existing policy on the use of face shields remains in effect," Roque said.
It was a reversal from Roque's statement earlier in the day that Duterte decided to limit the wearing of face shields in the hospital setting.
The task force, according to Roque, will recommend limiting the wearing of face shields to indoor spaces of hospitals, schools, workplaces, commercial establishments, public transport and terminals, and places of worship.
The wearing of face shields on top of face masks in public places was first made mandatory in December last year as the country prepared for possible spikes in COVID-19 cases. At the start of the pandemic, only face masks were required in public places.