The next elections are less than two years away and as the U.S. has shown the world, the power rests in the voters' hands.
To help Filipinos prepare for #Halalan2022, we've compiled this guide on what you need to know and do to make sure that your voice will be heard.
What are the requirements for voter registration and transfer of registration?
You need to download the application form from the Comelec website.
Bring one or more of the following valid IDs:
1. Postal ID
2. PWD Discount ID
3. Student's ID or library card
4. Senior Citizen's ID
5. Driver's license
6. NBI clearance
8. SSS/GSIS ID
9. IBP ID
10. PRC License
11. NCIP Certificate of Confirmation
12. Any other valid ID.
If the ID that you have is not listed above, the election officer might ask for additional documents.
How do I register as a voter?
Fill up your downloaded application form at home but don't sign it yet as this needs to be done at your local Comelec office.
Below is the step-by-step guide on what to do once you visit your local Comelec office:
1. Wear your face mask and face shield before going to the Comelec office.
2. Sanitize your hands and step on the footbath.
3. Fill up the provided health declaration form and sign your voter registration application form using your own pen. Observe physical distancing at all times inside the Comelec office.
4. An election officer will attend to your application. Sanitize your hands before and after using the signature pad and fingerprint scanner.
5. Remove your face mask and face shield only when asked for the picture-taking for your biometrics capture.
6. After registering, leave the Comelec office.
When can I register as a voter?
Starting November, Comelec said you can register every Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. For areas under localized enhanced community quarantines, Comelec said voter registration would be suspended until the strict lockdown is eased.
Is it safe to register as a voter during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez had said that Fridays would be allocated for disinfection in local poll body offices.
Applicants are required to wear face masks and face shields. Physical distancing will also be implemented and the number of applicants at a certain time inside Comelec offices will be limited as a precautionary measure against the virus, he said.
What social media accounts should I follow to be updated on #Halalan2022?
Aside from checking the Comelec website, you can follow the official Comelec Facebook page and Twitter account. For queries and other election-related concerns, the Comelec is endorsing the Ask COMELEC public group.