Here's a Heads Up from Reportr.World on news that you need to know today, Feb. 22.
WHAT'S HAPPENING TODAY:
- We are tracking Tropical Storm Auring (Dujuan), which was forecast to inundate large parts of the central and southern Philippines. Cold winds blowing from the northeast caused it to weaken on approach. Still, rains heralding its arrival were enough to cause massive floods in Surigao del Sur, forcing 50,000 people to evacuate.
- We are awaiting President Rodrigo Duterte's decision on reommendations from his cabinet to place the entire country under MGCQ, the lowest quarantine, by March 1. He usually delivers his weekly address to the nation on Mondays.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Vice President Leni Robredo said a presidential run in 2022 was "possible" even as she would prefer a local post.
- Here's what we know so far about the COVID-19 variant that was detected in Cebu. Authorities said it's no cause for alarm.
- Here's how you can delete Facebook. Yes, there's life without Facebook.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- The country's Vaccine Czar, Sec. Carlito Galvez, has apologized for the delay in the arrival of COVID jabs.
- IKEA Philippines' job openings are out, courtesy of the Pasay City government, where it's first store, also the world's biggest, is due to open this year.
- One of the scientists who helped land NASA's Perseverance rover on Mars is a Filipino. Meet Gregorio Villar III.
- Shopee is shining a spotlight on Filipina entrepreneurs during its online trade fair.
- Tennis' new queen is from Gen Z. Meet 23-year-old Naomi Osaka.
- Russia has reported to the WHO the first bird to human transmission of the H5N8 Avian Flu