A bayside community in Navotas City was told to evacuate Wednesday following an ammonia leak from an ice plant, Mayor Toby Tiangco said.
The leak, according to Tiangco, came from the T.P. Marcelo Ice Plant and Cold Storage in North Bay Boulevard.
"Naroon na po ang ating mga bumbero at emergency responders ngunit para po sa kaligtasan ng lahat, iwasan po ang nasabing lugar," Tiangco said in a Facebook post.
Ammonia is dangerous to the health because it is corrosive to the eyes, skin, and lungs.
In an interview with DZMM, Tiangco disclosed that the ice plant is a family business on his maternal side.
Nevertheless, Tiangco said he ordered the issuance of a closure order against the plant.