Colmenares, Makabayan Bloc Disqualified? That's Fake News, Comelec Says

As alleged in a supposed press release online.
Photo/s: Neri Colmenares/Facebook

The Commission on Elections late on Saturday denied a supposed press release circulating online that senatorial candidate Neri Colmenares and the Makabayan Bloc party-lists had been disqualified in the May 9 elections.

Comelec Commissioner George Erwin Garcia said he didn't sign an en banc resolution disqualifying Colmenares and the said party-list groups and that no decision of that sort came from the poll body's second division where he is a member.

"Umuulan ng fake news," Garcia told reporters when showed the supposed press release.

READ: How to Fact-Check Online When There's So Much Misinformation

Comelec acting spokesperson John Rex Laudiangco also relayed a statement from the office of Commissioner Aimee Ferolino that such information was "fake."

According to the alleged press release, which contained Laudiangco's name as reference, Colmenares and five party-lists belonging to the Makabayan Bloc have been disqualified from the elections supposedly because of supporting the Communist Party of the Philippines, the New People's Army, and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines.

Continue reading below ↓

The said party-list groups are Bayan Muna, Anakpawis, Kabataan, ACT Teachers, and Gabriela.

"Rest assured that matters like this will be officially released. We will formally inform you and such will be posted at the website," Laudiangco told reporters.

Members of the Makabayan Bloc had earlier denied their links to the New People's Army.

ALSO READ:

Dirty Tricks Allegations Mar Last Days of Election Campaign

Will Shading on Ballot Back Affect the Front?

Continue reading below ↓
Recommended Videos
Latest Headlines
Recent News