The release of the final list of candidates for the 2022 elections scheduled on Dec. 15, will not push through, the Commission on Elections said Tuesday, as it continues to resolve pending cases against nuisance candidates.
"We expect that the process of finalizing the list of candidates will take at least two more weeks will take at least two more weeks," Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said, without giving a new date.
The Comelec earlier said it resolved by itself to file petitions declaring 82 of the 97 people who filed their candidacies for president as nuisance. Similar petitions were filed against 15 of the 28 vice presidential aspirants, and against 108 of the 174 senatorial aspirants.
The Omnibus Election Code allows the poll body to decide on its own whether or not to consider a candidate as nuisance.
Candidates may be tagged as nuisance if they put the electoral process in a "mockery," if their intention to run for office could cause confusion among voters, or if it was found that they have no "bona fide" intention to run for public office.
Earlier in the day, the Comelec also conducted a raffle to determine the order of listing of party-list groups in the ballot. A total of 166 party-list groups were eligible to join the raffle.
The 2022 national and local elections are set for May 9 next year.