Senator Cynthia Villar retained the distinction of being the richest sitting senator, based on her 2020 SALN or Statement of Assets Liabilities and Net Worth released Monday.
How rich is Villar, whose family owns one of the country's largest real estate firms? She has a net worth of P3.88 billion, enough to purchase 129 million pieces of the top selling face shield on Lazada at P30 apiece.
That's enough for the entire Philippine population, the only country in the world that requires face shields against COVID-19, with an excess of 20 million. Even if she gave the surplus away to Tokyo, Japan, she'd still have 6 million to spare, enough to give two additional face shields to everyone in Quezon City.
She can also buy 55,400 units of the iPhone 13 ProMax when it's released. Shuld she go for the less expensive iPhone 13 non-pro, she can by 76,000 units.
Villar also grew richer by nearly 4%, adding P61 million to her net worth from P3.81 billion in 20189, according to her SALN.
Boxer-turned-politician Sen. Manny Pacquiao, who is set to run for president in the 2022, placed second with a declared wealth of P3.19 billion. Villar and Pacquiao are the only two billionaire senators in the list.
Pacquiao, with his wealth, can buy 106 million pieces of face shields, while Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto, which placed third the list, can purchase 19 million pieces with his wealth of P581 million.
Here’s how many face shields each senator can buy with their declared wealth as of Dec. 31, 2020:
1. Cynthia Villar – P3.88 billion is enough to buy 129.19 million pieces
2. Manny Pacquiao – P3.19 billion is enough to buy 106.24 million pieces
3. Ralph Recto – P581.07 million is enough to buy 19.37 million pieces
4. Juan Miguel Zubiri – P220.74 million is enough to buy 7.36 million pieces
5. Bong Revilla Jr. – P179.96 million is enough to buy 5.99 million pieces
6. Sonny Angara – P150.90 million is enough to buy 5.03 million pieces
7. Franklin Drilon – P106.86 million is enough to buy 3.56 million pieces
8. Grace Poe – P101.32 million is enough to buy 3.38 million pieces
9. Sherwin Gatchalian – P91.21 million is enough to buy 3.04 million pieces
10. Vicente Sotto III – P85.64 million is enough to buy 2.85 million pieces
11. Pia Cayetano – P84.60 million is enough to buy 2.82 million pieces
12. Richard Gordon – P77.57 million is enough to buy 2.59 million pieces
13. Lito Lapid – P74.95 million is enough to buy 2.50 million pieces
14. Francis Tolentino – P59.81 million is enough to buy 1.99 million pieces
15. Nancy Binay – P59.77 million is enough to buy 1.99 million pieces
16. Panfilo Lacson – P58.33 million is enough to buy 1.94 million pieces
17. Koko Pimentel – P37.20 million is enough to buy 1.24 million pieces
18. Imee Marcos – P36.27 million is enough to buy 1.21 million pieces
19. Ronald Dela Rosa – P34.38 million is enough to buy 1.15 million pieces
20. Joel Villanueva – P33.03 million is enough to buy 1.10 million pieces
21. Francis Pangilinan – P23.94 million is enough to buy 798,044 pieces
22. Bong Go – P22.27 million is enough to buy 742,483 pieces
23. Risa Hontiveros – P16.72 million is enough to buy 557,345 pieces
24. Leila De Lima – P9.54 million is enough to buy 318,137 pieces