President Rodrigo Duterte might seek the vice presidency without a running mate, his top aide Sen. Bong Go said Thursday.
The 76-year-old Duterte, the first Philippine leader to announce plans to run for vice president, could be a "free for all" candidate according to Go.
“Pwede po siyang tumakbo bilang isang bise presidente na walang ulo. Ibig sabihin, magiging free for all ang kanyang ulo," Go said.
"So desisyon po iyon ng ating mahal na Pangulong Duterte as of today, na tatakbo po siya bilang bise presidente,” he added.
Go floated the possibility after Duterte's eldest daughter Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio revealed that the senator approached her as a potential vice-presidential candidate.
The senator was initially endorsed by a faction of the ruling PDP-Laban party as a presidential candidate to run alongside Duterte but the senator turned down the endorsement.
Duterte earlier this week said he would run for vice president due to a lack of a strong candidate from the opposition, citing the dismal performance of his critics in the 2019 midterm polls. The move has been criticized by political analysts as an attempt to circumvent the Constitution which bars a sitting president from seeking reelection.