Rival presidential candidates Isko Moreno and Panfilo Lacson hosted a press conference on Easter Sunday.
Here’s a running account of what they said, as the campaign period for the May 9 elections hits the home stretch after the Holy Week break.
Also in attendance are presidential candidate Norberto Gonzales, and vice presidential bets Dr. Willie Ong and Senate President Vicente Sotto III.
Presidential bet Manny Pacquiao was also supposed to physically attend the press conference, according to the other candidates, but was not able to come. Lacscon hoped that Pacquiao would give a video statement related to their call.
- Moreno read the statement on behalf of the candidates, saying that would came together to ensure unity among Filipinos over politics.
- "Kasama kami sa kagustuhan ng kababayan na magkaroon ng isang diwa ng pagsasama-sama, na mananaig sa umiiral na bangayan at personal na ambisyon para yakapin ang pagkakaisa para sa ikabubuti ng lahat na hindi lamang mga kataga o bukambibig pampulitika," Moreno said.
- Moreno also said the presidential candidates in attendance also commit to serve the people whoever among them wins.
- Moreno maintained that all of them would push through with their candidacies in the May 9 elections, no withdrawals.
- "Hinding-hindi kami magbibitiw sa kampanya. Ang bawat isa sa amin ay magpapatuloy sa aming mga sariling kandidatura upang maging karapat-dapat na pagpilian ng sambayanan," Moreno said.
- Lacson said the choice for the presidency is being limited to two candidates only, adding that there are other candidates to choose from.
- "Parang nililimit na lang yung choice sa dalawa, that's why we had to do this," Lacson said.
- Moreno reiterated that he is offering himself as a choice for peace of mind among Filipinos: "Kung gusto niyo ng kapanatagan on top of your problem, of our country's problems.... I can offer you peace of mind, kapanatagan."
- Gonzales made an assessment of current survey figures, saying that the gap between Bongbong Marcos and Vice President Leni Robredo might be too big.
- "Kung ganyan ang layo ng survey ng dalawang naglalaban, hindi pa tapos ang laban... Kung talagang gusto natin matalo ang number 1, baka dapat palitan natin yung number 2," Gonzales said.
- "Huwag natin paniwalaan na yung number 1 and number 2 na lang yung naglalaban. Change player kung kinakailangan, kasi ayaw ng tao doon sa number 2," Gonzales added.
- Moreno hit Vice President Leni Robredo, said "that kind of person cannot be trusted" for supposedly saying before that she would not run for president.
- "If they are calling for supreme sacrifice, the yellow/pink... now we are calling: be a hero, withdraw Leni," Moreno said.
- Lacson: "Hopefully after this presscon, more Filipinos will be enlightened that there are other choices, not just two."
- Moreno claimed Robredo's camp was persistent in calling for other candidates to withdraw: "Ang talagang pinakamakulit, straight forward, Pinklawan."
- Moreno reiterated that Robredo was only running for president to beat Marcos: "It's always about the Marcos, it's not about you.... Hindi naging effective ang laban nila kasi nga personal."
- "I'm calling for Leni to withdraw kasi whatever you are doing is not effective against Marcos. Come and join us," Moreno added.
- Lacson said the press conference was not "anti-Leni", added that they didn't want Marcos to win as well.