President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. urged Filipinos to get a vaccine and booster shot against COVID-19 as he himself recovered from the disease for the second time.
The 64-year-old leader tested positive again for COVID-19 two weeks ago, prompting him to undergo home isolation for seven days. He only experienced mild symptoms and had been asymptomatic since the fifth and sixth day of isolation.
"Ang tingin ko kung hindi dahil sa vaccine at booster shot ay siguradong mas malubha ang naging tama ko at ang aking pakiramdam," Marcos said in his vlog posted on Saturday.
"Kaya yan ang mensaheng pinagtutulungan namin lahat ngayon. Sa tulong ng DOH, ng DILG, ng DepEd, isusulong ang malawakang kampanya muli para sa pagbabakuna sa booster shot," he added.
According to Marcos, a massive booster campaign is essential in preparation for the resumption of full face-to-face classes by Nov. 2 and the further easing of COVID-19 protocols in the country.
"Hindi naman talaga kailangan isabatas pa ito dahil malaya pa rin tayong mamili para sa ating sariling kalusugan. Pero habang tumatagal ay mas lumilinaw ang sinasabi ng siyensiya. Ang mga datos at mga pag-aaral na ang pagbabakuna ay malaki ang naitutulong para sa ating kaligtasan mula sa COVID-19," he said.
"Magpabakuna na po at magpa-booster shot na po para tiyak na tayo ay ligtas," he added.
Marcos earlier said that the mandatory wearing of face masks may be lifted if the government's booster campaign is successful in bringing down cases of COVID-19 in the country.
During his inaugural speech, he also said he would fix the government's "shortcomings" in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, assuring the public that there would be "no more secrets" when it comes to public health issues.