Metro Manila Mayors recommended extending the general community quarantine (GCQ) in the capital region until the end of the year, a representative said Thursday, citing the need for a "continuous strategy" to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
Parañaque Mayor Edwin Olivarez, who chairs the Metro Manila Council, said the body submitted this recommendation to the government's inter-agency task force, which decides on quarantine classifications.
"Ang recommendation po hanggang Dec. 31 of this year para magkaroon po tayo ng ating continuous strategy at hindi po magkaroon ng spikes [of COVID-19 cases] all over Metro Manila," Olivarez told TeleRadyo.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier this week announced the extension of GCQ in Metro Manila but only until Nov. 30.
Other areas under GCQ are Batangas, Iloilo, Tacloban, Bacolod, Iligan, and Lanao Del Sur according to the President.
The capital region has been under GCQ, the second-lowest quarantine, since mid-August. Restrictions however are further being loosened with teens and senior citizens allowed to leave their homes, and with Churches and mosques allowed to accommodate more people.
Vacation trips abroad were also allowed while top hotels in Metro Manila can now fully operate for staycations.