Palace on ABS-CBN Trending: There's No News Vacuum on Rolly

The government's communication system is working, the Palace says.
Photo/s: Wikimedia Commons / PinoyExplorer

Malacañang denied Tuesday a supposed communication vacuum in reporting the hazards of Super Typhoon Rolly due to the shutdown of ABS-CBN.

Responding to a question, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said there was no void in media coverage of the world's strongest storm so far, saying there were other networks that reported on the storm such as government-owned PTV, GMA-7, and TV5. Radio reporters were on top of typhoon watch too, he said.

"Gumagana po yung communication infrastructure ng gobyerno sa panahon ng aberya so sa tingin ko po, wala naman vacuum," Roque said during the government's first post-disaster press briefing since Rolly drenched Luzon.

ABS-CBN was a trending topic on Twitter on Monday as netizens recalled the Kapamilya network's coverage and public service during past calamities. 

ALSO READ:

Why is ABS-CBN Trending During Super Typhoon Rolly?

Some netizens also discussed the shutdown of ABS-CBN's regional network group, the country's largest before its franchise expired.

Continue reading below ↓

ABS-CBN went off the air on May 5 after its 25-year franchise ended. A House panel in July rejected its applications for a fresh license to broadcast.

MORE ON SUPER TYPHOON ROLLY:

WATCH: Drone Video of Super Typhoon Rolly's Damage in Albay

LOOK: Destruction on Super Typhoon Rolly's Path

Continue reading below ↓
Recommended Videos
Latest Headlines
Recent News