Here’s a heads Up from reportr on news that you need to know today, Dec. 16:
- The Philippines has confirmed its first two cases of the Omicron coronavirus variant from international arrivals.
- Until the end of 2021, the entire country will be under Alert level 2, the second lowest set of covid restrictions.
- Under Alert 2, traditional cockfighting or sabong is allowed on the condition that betting should be cashless.
- Here's are the countries under the Red, Yellow and Green List for foreign arrivals until Dec. 31.
- There were 237 new COVID infections yesterday.
- What happens when ex-lovers meet at the altar? It goes viral when the former boyfriend is the priest giving the homily at his former girlfriend’s wedding.
- Here’s why memes are faster and non-toxic on Twitter.
- Spend, save or pay debt? That’s the annual dilemma of salaried workers in December, who get their 13th month pay. Here’s your guide to budgeting finite resources during the season of infinite giving.
- It’s okay if you don’t want to socialize in person this Christmas. That’s the pandemic’s toll on your mental health. Take it easy.
Continue reading below ↓
- Odette is expected to reach typhoon strength today before slamming into the Caraga-Eastern Visayas area.
- Here’s how you can stay safe during storms.
- Here’s your guide to rainfall warnings and disaster alerts
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Here are the schedules of malls in Metro Manila that are hosting in-person masses for Christmas, including Simbang Gabi.
- Civil society groups seeking to stop Bongbong Marcos from running for president submitted 15,000 signatures supporting their cause to Comelec.
- Who is Josefa Llanes Escoda, champion of women’s rights, whose image on the P1,000 bill alongside two other World War II heroes will be replaced by the Philippine Eagle?
NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A bill that seeks to create a separate Cabinet department for OFWs was passed on third and final reading at the Senate.
- Senators also approved a bill that would effectively allow foreign ownership of airlines and telcos.
- The House and the Senate have approved the bicameral version of the P5-trillion National Budget for 2022, which will be sent to President Rodrigo Duterte for signing.
- Spreading at an unprecedented rate, the Omicron variant has “probably” slipped undetected in most countries, the WHO said, urging governments to prepare.
- Cambodia has reported its first case of the Omicron variant.
- Oppo has unveiled its self-developed smartphone chip, showing how China has learned from U.S. trade sanctions that choked Huawei’s handset business.
- Only in Japan: KFC is the traditional Christmas food for decades and in year two of the pandemic, the company is urging customers to order online to avoid lines.
Continue reading below ↓