Senate President Sotto Unfazed By Alleged Ouster Move

'I serve at the pleasure of my colleagues,' Senate leader says.
Photo/s: Senate PRIB

Senate President Vicente Sotto III was unfazed by a report that his colleagues were allegedly trying to unseat him from his leadership post, saying that he was ready to submit to the majority.

Sotto on Monday confirmed receiving a report that a resolution was supposedly being circulated among senators to gather support for hsi removal, adding that it came from Senate employees.

"I serve at the pleasure of my colleagues. You can replace me anytime with 13 signatures," he said.

"I don't really pay much attention to it. If ever they want a new leader, they will tell me about it, whoever is behind it," he added.

Sotto said Senators Ronald Dela Rosa and Bong Go came to him earlier in the day to assure him that they were not part of the alleged ouster plot. He went on to preside over the opening of the Third Regular Session of the Senate.

Continue reading below ↓

"Siguro merong nakaisip, pagkatapos ay hindi naman natuloy, nag-fizzle out siguro," he said.

Sen. Panfilo Lacson first disclosed the report on the alleged ouster move against the Senate president on Saturday, noting that the supposed move came out after Sotto announced that he was running for vice president in the 2022 elections.

"Kung sino yung nag-initiate, bahala na lang sila kung kaya nila yung numero. Alam mo, nasa demokrasya tayo, maski nasa loob ng Senado, makakuha sila ng 13 na numero, edi bababa si Senate President," Lacson said.

"Ganyan talaga. Maski matanggal si SP, kaibigan pa rin namin sino mauupo, sino yung mga kasamahan namin na hindi bumoto sa kanya," he added.

Lacson is running for president with Sotto as his vice president. They will make their official launch on Aug. 4.

Continue reading below ↓
Recommended Videos
Latest Headlines
Recent News