Here’s a Heads Up from reporter on news that you need to know today, Oct. 20:
- The alert-based quarantine system was expanded to select provinces from yesterday to give way to targeted, instead of large-scale lockdowns.
- Here’s your guide to establishments that are allowed under specific alerts and at what operating capacities.
- There were 4,496 new COVID cases yesterday.
- From Tatay Digong to Mama Leni, here’s why voters in the Philippines gravitate towards family figures.
- What vote buying? Sen. Manny Pacquiao will continue giving out cash aid as he campaigns for the presidency, according to his office.
- Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said the father’s sins are not the sins of the son, when asked about his revival for the presidency, former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
- Dela Rosa said the sincerity of his candidacy for president should not be judged even if he is willing to be substituted by Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Continue reading below ↓
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Here’s what you need to know if you’re planning a trip to Manila Bay’s dolomite beach.
- The new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros are here and Apple’s pricing and pro model lineup just made it more expensive to get the latest and greatest from Cupertino.
- Know your rights as a worker. According to the DOLE, employers can’t enforce COVID-19 vaccination as a pre-employment requirement. They also cant withhold pay to those who are not yet jabbed.
NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Shoutout to trolls, from Sen. Richard Gordon: “Magbagong buhay na kayo”. He is leading an investigation into alleged corruption in the supply of COVID protective gear to the government.
- The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee has recommended the filing of graft charges against Pharmally Corp and others involved in the supply of overpriced face shields and face masks.
- For the third straight year and fifth overall, travelers and industry players voted the Philippines as Asia’s best beach and dive destination.
- Marvel fans, Disney is delaying the release of new Black Panther, Thor and Doctor Strange films.
- How to stop the monsters that Facebook and Google have become? Stop them from gobbling up their competitors.
- Attacks on free speech during the pandemic were “unprecedented” as authoritarian rulers used the lockdowns to crack down on dissent, said Amnesty International.
- China is drafting a new law that will punish parents for their children’s bad behavior.
- From now on, it’s just Ye. The mercurial performer formerly known as Kanye West has secured court approval to change his name.
Continue reading below ↓