It's back to the one-meter distance requirement for commuters after President Rodrigo Duterte sought more time to study the planned 0.75-meter spacing that was implemented earlier this week, his spokesman said Thursday.
Duterte will decide on the reduced physical distancing by Sept. 21, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said. Health groups have raised concern that shrinking the gap could set back the country's fight against COVID-19 at a time when it is seeing signs that the curve is flattening.
A report on divergent views on physical distancing was submitted to the President on Thursday, Roque said.
Also on Thursday, the MRT said it deployed a record 21 train sets to shorten waiting times and ferry more passengers. As cases begin to slow, the government is also carefully reopening the economy and guarding against outbreaks, especially in public transport.