Presidential candidate Bongbong Marcos is not yet confirmed to attend the presidential debate organized by the Commission on Elections on March 19, his spokesperson said on Thursday, contrary to the announcement of the poll body.
Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said earlier in the day that all 10 presidential candidates "signified their commitment to attend the first debate", but Vic Rodriguez said it's still subject to his schedule.
"His participation in the said event, which will be held at the Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan will only be confirmed if his hectic campaign schedules permit," Rodriguez added.
After Rodriguez issued his statement, Jimenez showed a document from Marcos' team stating that the son of the late dictator has "expressed his readiness" to join the Comelec debates.
"If more confirmation is needed, the Comelec awaits the same with bated breath. Nevertheless, preparations for the #PiliPinasDebates2022 push through," Jimenez added.
Marcos previously said that he would accept invitations to attend debates only if his schedule permits.
He last appeared on SMNI's presidential debate last week after skipping a similar forum organized by the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas. He also will not attend the CNN Philippines presidential debate on Sunday, Feb. 27.