President Rodrigo Duterte said Monday he was not supporting any candidate eyeing to succeed him in the May 9 elections but hinted that he remains open to changing his mind.
Duterte, who won in 2016 by the largest margin since the restoration of democracy three decades ago, said he could still endorse a presidential candidate if he sees that it's needed.
"I may in the end, if I see that my advice, maybe endorsement could help, kung kailangan but at this time I am saying that I am not supporting anybody," Duterte said in a late-night public address.
"Unless there is a compelling reason really for me to change my mind and decide to support a candidate but until now wala akong nakikitang danger," he added.
Duterte's announcement came a day before presidential candidates officially start their campaign. Last month, Duterte said he would reveal the "most corrupt" candidate eyeing to succeed him in the elections "in due time".
" I would say at this time They are all qualified, kung sino man sila. Those running now are qualified to be president. I hope so," Duterte said.
"I am not into supporting anybody right now," he added.
Duterte's political party PDP-Laban is supporting his daughter Sara Duterte who is seeking the vice presidency.
The younger Duterte is running with survey frontrunner Bongbong Marcos, the son and namesake of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr.