Follow us for updates
© 2020 reportr.world
Read the Story →

For the Second Time, Interior Chief Año Tests Positive for Coronavirus

He is helping run the country's COVID-19 response.
by Agence France Presse
Aug 17, 2020
Photo/s: DILG/Facebook
Shares

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año has tested positive for coronavirus five months after an initial diagnosis, authorities said Monday, as experts investigate whether he had been re-infected.

Año, who is helping to spearhead the country's virus response, said he returned a positive test on Saturday after experiencing flu-like symptoms last week. He was first diagnosed with COVID-19 in March, but did not show any signs of the disease at the time.

People infected with coronavirus build up antibodies starting about a week after infection or the onset of symptoms, research has shown. But scientists are still unsure whether the body systematically builds up enough immunity to ward off a new attack by the virus or, if it does, how long such immunity lasts.

Some studies have shown that patients who recover from coronavirus may lose their immunity within months, or even weeks.

President Rodrigo Duterte is under "perpetual isolation," according to his spokesman, Sec. Harry Roque. It's a "figure of speech" pertaining to the great care his security takes to ensure that people don't get to close, Roque said.

Continue reading below ↓

More from reportrworld

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said experts were analysing Ano's symptoms, his previous positive test, and laboratory results to see if this is a second infection.

"Let's not call it a re-infection. The scientific community has not yet accepted that a re-infection occurs," Vergeire cautioned.

Ano was tested ahead of a meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte and other key cabinet members on Monday to decide whether to extend a two-week lockdown in Metro Manila, Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite and Laguna that is due to expire this week.

The country's virus caseload has surged above 160,000 -- the highest in Southeast Asia -- with more than 2,600 deaths. More than a quarter of the infections remain active.

The health and labor ministries have ordered people to wear face masks and visors at their workplaces after outbreaks at office cafeterias.

-- with Reportr.World

Latest Headlines
Read Next
Recent News
The news. So what? Subscribe to the newsletter that explains what the news means for you.
The email address you entered is invalid.
Thank you for signing up for COVID-19 updates. All you need to know about the global pandemic from your trusted Summit Media network.
By signing up to reportr.world newsletter, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.