Frantic Filipino online shoppers stayed up late on midnight of Thursday to check out items from their cart as the 9.9 sale began-- the same day that, coincidentally, the Forbes list of the Philippines' richest was also released.
The top 50 wealthiest in the country saw their collective wealth rise to $79 billion (around P3.9 trillion) this year after seeing a drop in 2020, in what Forbes described as a "robust recovery" in the second year of the pandemic.
With all the money they have, the Philippines' richest can easily check out items in their online carts (if they do have one) without having to check their balance or wait for the next payday.
It's difficult to imagine how many items P3.9 trillion can buy from online shopping platforms but we can decode it by converting it to a favorite budol purchase--the air fryer.
Assuming that the average price of an air fryer this 9.9 sale is P2,000 or $40, we look at how many air fryers can the country's richest buy with their net worth.
The richest list was again topped by the children of the late Henry Sy Sr. with a net worth of $16.6 billion (P800 billion) meaning they can also buy the most number of air fryers--415 million pieces. This is nearly quadruple the country's 109 million population which means they can gift everyone in the country an air fryer and still have over 300 million left.
Here's how many air fryers the top 10 richest in the Philippines can buy:
1. Sy siblings - $16.6 billion is enough to buy 415 million air fryers
2. Manuel Villar - $6.7 billion is enough to buy 167.5 million air fryers
3. Enrique Razon - $5.8 billion is enough to buy 145 million air fryers
4. Lance Gokongwei and siblings - $4 billion is enough to buy 100 million air fryers
5. Jaime Zobel de Ayala - $3.3 billion is enough to buy 82.5 million air fryers
6. Dennis Anthony and Maria Grace Uy - $2.8 billion is enough to buy 70 million air fryers
7. Tony Tan Caktiong - $2.7 billion is enough to buy 67.5 million air fryers
8. Andrew Tan - $2.6 billion is enough to buy 65 million air fryers
9. Ramon Ang - $2.3 billion is enough to buy 57.5 million air fryers
10. Ty siblings - $2.2 billion is enough to buy 55 million air fryers