Free rides in 42 routes in Metro Manila will end on June 30, authorities said Thursday, as they wrapped up a subsidized public transport program to help commuters and riders cope with record fuel prices.
A total of 118 routes ended free rides to commuters last June 16, while the remainder of routes will follow on June 30, which includes areas in Quezon City, Manila, Parañaque City, Rizal, and Bulacan, according to the Department of Transportation.
Here's a list of routes where free rides will end on June 30:
- A. Mabini - A. Bonifacio via 10th
- Alabang - Calamba via SLEX
- Antipolo - Cubao
- Balingasa, Balintawak - Muzon, San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan
- Novaliches - Bigte (Norzagaray, Bulacan) - Novaliches
- Brgy. Pintong Bukawe San Mateo - Robinsons Marcos Highway
- Cielito Homes - Novaliches via Zabarte Road
- Commonwealth Market (Quezon City) - Southville Resettlment Area (San Isidro, Rodriguez, Rizal)
- Cubao - Doroteo Jose
- Diego Sierra - Las Piñas
- Divisoria - Malanday
- Divisoria - Pier South via Delpan
- Divisoria - San Juan
- Eastwood Libis - Capitol Commons
- España - Rizal Avenue via Blumentritt
- Grotto, SJDM, Bulacan - Novaliches
- Malanday - Pier
- Malanday - Recto
- Malanday - Sta. Cruz
- Marcos Ave. (Commonwealth, QC) - Montalban, Rizal
- Montalban - Cubao
- Montalban - Marikina vice-versa
- Monumento - EDSA Taft
- Monumento - Muñoz via Roosevelt Ave.
- NLET - Cubao
- NLET - PIT
- Novaliches - Cubao Farmers Market
- Novaliches - Rizal Ave. via A. Bonifacio
- Novaliches - Tala
- Novaliches Bayan - MRT North EDSA (CIT)
- Paco - Sta. Mesa Rotonda via Nagtahan
- Palmera, SJDM, Bulacan - Novaliches
- PITX - BGC
- PITX - Lawton
- Punta - Divisoria
- Quezon Ave. - Montalban
- Robinsons Noava - Buendia
- Rodriguez - Cubao
- Rodriguez - Sta. Lucia Grandmall (Cainta)
- Rodriguez (Montalban) - Araneta (Cubao)
- San Rafael, Rodriguez, Rizal - Cubao Central Terminal
- SM Fairview - Buendia
The routes are part of the third phase of a Service Contracting Program that was launched in April to assist operators and drivers whose incomes were affected by the rising cost of fuel products.
Under this program, PUV operators and drivers will be paid by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board based on the maximum number of trips they make every week, even without passengers.
Along with this benefit to operators and drivers, commuters can also avail of free rides under the program.
While the Service Contracting Program ends, the EDSA Busway Carousel will continue to offer free rides to commuters every day from 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. until July 31. The bus route also operates 24 hours a day.
MORE ON FREE RIDES: