Follow us for updates
© 2020 reportr.world
Read the Story →

GCQ in Metro Manila, Urban Centers is Extended Until January 31

Tight watch over new COVID strain.
Dec 28, 2020
Photo/s: Jerome Ascaño
Shares

The general community quarantine in Metro Manila and other urban areas is extended until Jan. 31, President Rodrigo Duterte said Monday, as authorities prepared for a new COVID-19 strain that spreads more easily.

Also under GCQ, the second to the lowest under the country's four-step warning system are: Isabela, Santiago City, Batangas, Iloilo City, Tacloban City, Lanao del Sur, Iligan City, Davao City, Davao del Norte. The rest of the country remains under MGCQ.

Duterte earlier said that a return to strict quarantines is a "possibility" should there be a spike in cases. Officials are preparing for both a possible post-Christmas surge in infections as well as the new strain that was first detected in the UK.

"Stay home if possible. It's for your own good and washing of the hands," he said.

ALSO READ:

New COVID Strain: What We Know So Far

When Will Quarantines Be Lifted? NEDA Says Likely in 2022 

Continue reading below ↓

The new variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 has not been detected in the Philippines but its entry is likely, said Health Sec. Francisco Duque. The public is advised to continue handwashing and wearing face masks and face shields. Physical distancing must be observed and crowded places must be avoided.

A pilot of face-to-face classes in January was scrapped because of the new strain, which was also detected in South Africa, Spain, and Singapore.

Latest Headlines
Read Next
Recent News
The news. So what? Subscribe to the newsletter that explains what the news means for you.
The email address you entered is invalid.
Thank you for signing up to On Three, reportr's weekly newsletter delivered to your mailbox three times a week. Only the latest, most useful and most insightful reads.
By signing up to reportr.world newsletter, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.