Here's a Heads Up from reportr on news that you need to know today, Jan: 14.
- The Philippines has confirmed its first case of the UK COVID-19 virus variant which is more contagious without being more dangerous.
- Here's what we know so far about the new variant. Here's a list of countries and jurisdictions with cases of the new strain and from which arrivals are banned until Jan. 15.
- A variant is different from a virus strain. Here's our explainer.
- We are watching a Department of Health briefing at 10 a.m. today and another government briefing at 12:45 p.m. on COVID vaccines.
- Here's our primer on COVID-19 vaccines in the Philippines, which brands are coming and what will it take to buy and transport them.
- Here's a recap of President Rodrigo Duterte's weekly speech. This one was delivered last night, Jan. 13.
- The MRT is launching its own contact-tracing app next week.
- The preliminary investigation on the Christine Dacera case was held yesterday. After which, state prosecutors will decide whether or not criminal charges will be filed in court.
- Authorities warned against eating shellfish from areas with red tide.
- With traffic jams in the metropolis touted as ninth worst in the world, MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos floated the idea of elevated busway ramps over u-turn slots.
- How do mayors become presidents? In this explainer, we analyze how President Rodrigo Duterte carved the city hall-to-presidential palace path.
Here's an update on COVID-19 cases as of 4 p.m. of Jan. 13: