Health Secretary Francisco Duque on Wednesday outlined the government's preparations for a possible surge in coronavirus infections during the Christmas season, as he appealed for the public's cooperation.
Health frontliners earlier in the day sounded the alarm over rising cases, calling on Filipinos to stay at home and avoid public cases.
Duque said the following steps were done in anticipation of a possible spike in cases:
- Hospitals were asked to increase dedicated beds and mechanical ventilators for COVID-19 patients
- Hospitals were also directed to increase isolation beds since there could also be in an increase in suspected cases that will need isolation and quarantine
- COVID-19 testing will not stop, even on Christmas Day
Duque said the public should do the following on top of minimum standards (face masks, face shields, hand washing, social distancing)
- Avoid enclosed and air-conditioned areas
- Avoid activities where saliva could be ejected into the air like buffets and karaoke parties. It's dangerous, even with masks and barriers.
MORE ON COVID SAFETY: