Five days left into the strict COVID-19 quarantine or MECQ, President Rodrigo Duterte assigned a Cabinet official to oversee government response in all areas where it is enforced, that's one for each of the 17 cities and municipalities in Metro Manila and four surrounding provinces.
The Cabinet secretaries will "provide stronger support" and monitor the performance of the health system, its capacity to provide critical care and compliance with pandemic protocols.
Safety measures are evolving. From Aug. 15, face shields will also be required in the workplace aside from public transport. In MECQ work areas, eating in canteens and smoking in common areas will be prohibited. The MECQ, the second highest quarantine classification, will expire on Aug. 18.
On Wednesday, the Philippines had a total of 143,749 cases after confirming 4,444 more. Last Monday, it set a single-day record of nearly 7,000 new cases. The country has the highest number of cases in Southeast Asia after surpassing Indonesia last week.
Here are the Cabinet officials assigned per MECQ area:
1. Quezon City: Health Sec. Francisco Duque III and Cabinet Sec. Karlo Nograles
2. Pasig City: Education Sec. Leonor Briones and Tourism Sec. Bernadette Romulo-Puyat
3. Pateros: MMDA Chairman Danilo Lim
4. Marikina City- Labor Sec. Silvestre Bello III and CHED Chairman Prospero De Vera III
5. Taguig City: Interior Sec. Eduardo Año, and Bases Conversion and Development Authority CEO Vince Dizon
6. Manila: Information and Communications Technology Sec: Gringo Honasan II and Anti-Red Tape Authority Director-General Jeremiah Belgica
7. Mandaluyong City: Trade Sec. Ramon Lopez
8. Makati City: National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr.
9. San Juan City: Acting Socioplanning Sec. Karl Chua
10. Muntinlupa City: Transportation Sec. Arthur Tugade
11. Parañaque City: Peace Process Adviser Carlito Galvez Jr.
12. Las Piñas City: Public Works Secretary Mark Villar
13. Pasay City: Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
14. Caloocan City: Agriculture Sec. William Dar
15. Malabon City: Labor Sec. Silvestre Bello II and CHED Chairman Prospero De Vera III
16. Navotas City: Budget Sec. Wendel Avisado
17. Valenzuela City- Science and Technology Sec. Fortunato Dela Peña
1. Bulacan: Justice Sec: Menardo Guevarra
2. Cavite: Defense Sec: Delfin Lorenzana
3. Laguna: Communications Sec. Martin Andanar
4. Rizal: Energy Sec. Alfonso Cusi