Metro Manila mayors have united to call for the scrapping of the face shield requirement, citing the vaccination of a majority of the target population and the slowing spread of the coronavirus, the MMDA said Monday.
Should the Inter-Agency Task Force approve the mayors' recommendation, face shields will no longer be required in shopping malls, MMDA Chairman Benjamin Abalos said.
Malacañang earlier on Monday urged local government units to keep enforcing the mandatory wearing of face shields as the IATF is still studying the possible lifting of the policy. Manila scrapped the requirement, following the lead of Davao and Iloilo cities.
The wearing of face shields on top of face masks in all public places was first made mandatory in December last year.
In September, President Rodrigo Duterte removed the face shield requirement in outdoor areas but kept it in closed, crowded, and close contact areas such as indoor restaurants.