Here's a Heads Up from Reportr.World on news that you need to know today, April 19:
- Why are Filipinos so inspired by their teen compatriots from the 1950s who showcased their oratory skills before the world stage in 1954? We tracked down the grandson of Johnny Antillon.
COVID TOP STORIES:
- The Philippines crossed the 200,000-mark in active COVID cases over the weekend. Global deaths topped three million.
- Taipan Lucio Tan is in the hospital for COVID-19, according to his daughter, Vivienne, who appealed for prayers for the 86-year-old billionaire's recovery.
- Vice President Leni Robredo is self-isolating after one of her security staff caught the virus.
NEWS YOU CAN USE:
- Follow our coverage of Bising (Surigae), a strong typhoon that is hovering east of the Philippines.
- Don't worry if you can't meet the P2 million balance requirement on your BPI Peso Maxi Saver by June 1, the bank has a new savings product with P50,000 ADB.
- Here are the sectors that qualify as A4 or fourth priority in the government's COIVID vaccination program.
NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Community pantries are sprouting all over Metro Manila, following the lead of the corner market in Maginhawa, Quezon City.
- In the largest raid of its kind, authorities seized P1.2 billion worth of giant clam shells that were pocahed off Palawan.
- Queen Elizabeth buried her husband, Prince Philip, in a ceremony subdued by the pandemic. The event also saw Princes William and Harry reunite.
- Here's the inspiring story of a traithlete mom who refuses to let cancer stop her.